Yet Another Reminder that Security Begins with You
Robert Regis Hyle | June 23, 2015
Baseball has a long history of chicanery, but nothing like the news from last week that the FBI is investigating the breach of the database of the Houston Astros baseball team, which may have been conducted by employees of the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team.
This is not stealing a pitcher’s signs. This is a criminal offense that could land some people in jail and result in heavy fines if investigators are able to determine how the stolen data was used.
The insurance industry knows all too well the challenges of protecting data and the costly effects that come from data breaches. But those attacks, while targeted, are random. Progressive is not looking to breach Geico’s data base.
U.S. businesses have a long history of corporate espionage, but such a sloppy attempt is more reminiscent of the Watergate burglary than a well-planned attack. Authorities were able to link the IP address of the attackers to a Florida home occupied by employees of the Cardinals during spring training.
The initial report, since denied by Jeff Luhnow, the general manager of the Astros, is that he used the same or similar passwords when he previously worked for the Cardinals. Luhnow is not a baseball lifer. He started out working in technology companies before his love of data analytics led him to baseball.
Luhnow says he knows the value of security all too well and would never be sloppy with his passwords. Still, the point hit home with many companies because, let’s face it, many of us are sloppy with our passwords.
Whether it was Luhnow’s own lack of diligence that allowed the Astros to be attacked is not the point. Security professionals for years have been telling us the biggest challenge in security comes from within a company’s own ranks.
It’s not as if we need any reminders—security breaches are coming at regular intervals—but it may be time for companies and employees to review their policies on password protection. There are enough hackers out there with the ability to break through our perimeter defenses. Let’s not leave the door unlocked for them.
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
Insurance carriers interested in meeting or exceeding their customer’s expectations regarding mobility are looking at a two-pronged approach... READ MORE
Robert Regis Hyle
Everybody has a wish list and it seems that atop the lists for insurance carriers still operating with legacy systems is the desire to do away with... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Strategy Meets Action will hold its annual Summit in Boston on Sept. 14 and the focus for this year is: Becoming the Next-Gen Insurer... READ MORE
Starting last fall when the technology company dropped Mastek from its name and became simply Majesco, its mergers and acquisitions, and hirings have... READ MORE
Digital represents a continuous form of disruption to existing or new business models, products, services or experiences enabled by data and... READ MORE
In spite of all the arm-flapping and hand-waving stirred by the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the way health insurance is purchased, and employee... READ MORE
- Vendor Views