Verisk Incorporates By-Peril Ratings into Rating, Underwriting Process
Staff Writer | November 14, 2014
Verisk Insurance Solutions - Underwriting announces the availability of property-specific by-peril rating data from the ISO Risk Analyzer Homeowners predictive model in its 360Value replacement cost estimator. Insurers using 360Value can get the ISO Risk Analyzer building characteristics data as part of the replacement cost estimation process, making it easier to add by-peril rating sophistication to their rating and underwriting with minimal impact on their workflow.
The module, released in 2013, provides risk relativities for 20 building characteristics in relation to nine perils that can threaten properties. Insurers can differentiate rates for two houses on the same block with the same replacement value based on how the risk changes by building characteristic in relation to hail, fire, wind, theft, and five other perils or all perils combined.
"This is an exciting enhancement because it's much easier for insurers to make rating decisions at a highly granular level," says Steve Lekas, vice president, property product management for Verisk Insurance Solutions - Underwriting. "360Value is a superior user interface for the building characteristics module because many of the data requirements are the same for both."
Insurers need property-specific building characteristics to estimate the replacement cost of a property. Seventeen of the 20 building characteristics in ISO Risk Analyzer also have fields in 360Value. Using those property-specific characteristics and predictive modeling on a by-peril level, ISO Risk Analyzer in 360Value delivers comprehensive views of how to rate a house.
"For example, different roof materials and ages will have varying effects on hail, wind, or liability claims," says Douglas Wing, assistant vice president, analytic products, ISO. "ISO Risk Analyzer in 360Value captures the interaction between those characteristics and each of the nine modeled perils. Capturing and quantifying the differences can help give insurers pricing confidence and competitive advantages."
In addition to enhancing rating information, insurers can use the output from ISO Risk Analyzer in 360Value to support underwriting decisions and even assist marketing campaigns targeting better risks with highly competitive offers.
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Few Surprises in Cybersecurity for Insurers
- Few Surprises in Cybersecurity for Insurers
- ITA Pro Weekly, January 20, 2016
- Verisk Releases Cyber Exposure Data Standard for Insurance
- British Insurer Selects Guidewire Core Systems
- Nationwide Private Client Expands into New States with ISCS Solution
- Majesco, Appulate Announce Strategic Partnership
- Boston Mutual Partners with Onyx Data Solutions
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA is pleased to present the 2014 Webinar Series. We have many topics for you to choose from and attendance is open to all ITA members. The webinar topics are current and exciting — ranging from predictive analytics to telematics and will focus on the direction insurance carriers need to follow for the future. All webinars are presented by insurance IT professionals along with some of the leading analysts and consultants in the field. There is no cost to attend an ITA webinar. For more information and to register for the webinar, click the “title” of the webinar below.
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
Insurance carriers interested in meeting or exceeding their customer’s expectations regarding mobility are looking at a two-pronged approach... READ MORE
Robert Regis Hyle
Everybody has a wish list and it seems that atop the lists for insurance carriers still operating with legacy systems is the desire to do away with... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Strategy Meets Action will hold its annual Summit in Boston on Sept. 14 and the focus for this year is: Becoming the Next-Gen Insurer... READ MORE
Starting last fall when the technology company dropped Mastek from its name and became simply Majesco, its mergers and acquisitions, and hirings have... READ MORE
Digital represents a continuous form of disruption to existing or new business models, products, services or experiences enabled by data and... READ MORE
In spite of all the arm-flapping and hand-waving stirred by the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the way health insurance is purchased, and employee... READ MORE
- Vendor Views