Progressive to Offer Discounts to OnStar Users for Feedback
Staff Writer | January 07, 2015
Beginning this summer, OnStar will offer customers the opportunity to sign up for a service that provides driver assessment data to customers who want to know how well they drive and provides some customers with an opportunity to seek insurance discounts from Progressive Insurance.
The new connected vehicle services will soon allow OnStar subscribers a chance to enroll in a program that provides a detailed driving assessment at the end of a 90-day evaluation period. The assessment, provided only to OnStar subscribers via email, will show them how they performed in important driving metrics, and how they compare against an aggregate of other anonymous subscribers also enrolled in the program. Driving tips also will be provided by OnStar based on areas of potential improvement.
Afterwards, some subscribers also will have an opportunity to share their driving data and evaluation information with Progressive through its Snapshot program, in order to obtain potential discounted insurance offers from Progressive. This information sharing will be done on a voluntary basis, with customers consenting in advance.
“The driving assessment is meant to help people better understand how they drive and give them feedback on how to be better, smarter drivers. Progressive Insurance also is available to provide interested drivers any discounts that may be available to them based on their driving assessment,” says Greg Ross, director, business development and alliances, global connected consumer experience for GM. “This is the first time we can use actual driving behavior to deliver valuable important feedback to subscribers who want this information. This new service truly shows the power of the connected car.”
“The beauty of this program is that control is in the hands of the customer,” said Ross. “If they wish to participate, we’ll inform them of their driving behavior and then they’re able to choose if they want to share their information with an insurance provider.”
Progressive is the first insurance company that will use OnStar data, subject to explicit customer consent, to offer these driving-based insurance discounts.
“We are looking beyond traditional expectations of car makers and insurance providers, toward helping people be smarter drivers,” says Dave Pratt, general manager of usage-based insurance at Progressive. “Providing drivers with feedback benefits consumers by making them more aware of their driving behavior, saving them money and keeping the roads safer. This program makes it easier than ever for consumers to take advantage of the latest in-car technology and the leading usage-based insurance program.”
The smart driver assessment program will be available for all 2016 GM models, most 2015 models, and select 2013 and 2014 models, starting this summer. The program is only available for U.S. drivers at this time.
OnStar subscribers currently are able to receive low mileage discount offers through other insurance companies. These low mileage programs, however, do not require the collection or use of driver assessment data.
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
Insurance carriers interested in meeting or exceeding their customer’s expectations regarding mobility are looking at a two-pronged approach... READ MORE
Robert Regis Hyle
Everybody has a wish list and it seems that atop the lists for insurance carriers still operating with legacy systems is the desire to do away with... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Strategy Meets Action will hold its annual Summit in Boston on Sept. 14 and the focus for this year is: Becoming the Next-Gen Insurer... READ MORE
Starting last fall when the technology company dropped Mastek from its name and became simply Majesco, its mergers and acquisitions, and hirings have... READ MORE
Digital represents a continuous form of disruption to existing or new business models, products, services or experiences enabled by data and... READ MORE
In spite of all the arm-flapping and hand-waving stirred by the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the way health insurance is purchased, and employee... READ MORE
- Vendor Views