‘Any’ is the Key Word in Mobile Technology
Robert Regis Hyle | April 28, 2014
The three “any’s” are ruling the mobile world these days: any time, any place, and any way you want to communicate or do business. These three aspects of life today continue to amaze.
Last weekend I was in Nashville, Tenn., to watch my daughter run in that city’s Rock and Roll Marathon (certainly a misnomer for the home of country music). Marathon running is decidedly not a spectator sport, but mobile technology added a great deal to the experience and enjoyment for fans of the racers.
By signing up for a free app I received text messages and Facebook updates on my smartphone that not only allowed me to keep track of her time, but know where she was on the course and when the best opportunity was to see her run by and offer encouragement. (By the way, the best sign I saw read: “Way to go random stranger.”)
The ability to stay connected is important for many of us and the any time, any place, any way aspect of business today is the biggest facet.
The fun opportunities of mobility are unquestioned, but the business functions are what will drive acceptance and performance as we move forward, away from a desktop world. The ITA is a perfect example of this. We still use the traditional distribution method of paper magazines sent via the U.S. Postal Service—think the independent agency model.
We also offer a desktop version for those who enjoy going paperless, but can’t tear themselves away from their office computer or laptop. Think of this as more of a direct writer model.
Finally, we have apps available through Google, Apple, and Amazon (and if you are an ITA member you really need to sign up for this easy to use, easy to read app). This is the model insurance carriers need to have available for their customers as those customers come to rely on newer and more mobile communication devices.
Admit it, you are doing things in a mobile environment that you never dreamed possible and never thought would be a requirement in your life. Yet they are and they will continue to change your life as we move further along the technology trail.
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2019
The tide is up! It's time to register for ITA LIVE 2019, our annual educational and networking conference! Our theme is "The InsurTech Revolution: Cutting Through the Hype." and we'll be bringing in a torrent of industry thought leaders, amazing insight and wonderful perspectives on the world of insurtech and its impact on the insurance landscape.
ITA LIVE 2019 will present real-life examples of true startup technologies that are helping insurers gain real advantage -- and a competitive edge -- in the marketplace. We’ll highlight the more successful InsurTech partnerships, while offering case studies that demonstrate exciting innovation and cutting-edge techniques impacting all aspects of the insurance ecosystem.
Ride the wave to LIVE 2019. Sign up today! We look forward to seeing you in May, 2019!
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
Insurance carriers interested in meeting or exceeding their customer’s expectations regarding mobility are looking at a two-pronged approach... READ MORE
Robert Regis Hyle
Everybody has a wish list and it seems that atop the lists for insurance carriers still operating with legacy systems is the desire to do away with... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Strategy Meets Action will hold its annual Summit in Boston on Sept. 14 and the focus for this year is: Becoming the Next-Gen Insurer... READ MORE
Starting last fall when the technology company dropped Mastek from its name and became simply Majesco, its mergers and acquisitions, and hirings have... READ MORE
Digital represents a continuous form of disruption to existing or new business models, products, services or experiences enabled by data and... READ MORE
In spite of all the arm-flapping and hand-waving stirred by the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the way health insurance is purchased, and employee... READ MORE
- Vendor Views